FASTag is a device that works on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for creating toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account connected to it. FASTag is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle and activates you to drive through toll plazas without stopping for cash transactions. The FASTag can be purchased from Tag issuing authority, and if it is connected to the prepaid account, then you require to recharge/top up the tag as per your need. FASTag is valid across over 490 National Highways toll plazas and selected 39+ State highways toll plazas. One lane in every toll plaza is being devoted FASTag lane where no other type of payment is allowed. The other roads, though FASTag enabled, can take different types of cash too.
The Government of India has mandated that new vehicles being sold with effect from 1st October 2017 are attached with active FASTag. The “FASTag Partner App” will facilitate more than 6000 dealers in the country to access a single platform and enable the FASTag at the time of delivery of the vehicle.
Electronic Toll Collection
ETC is the Electronic payment of highway tolls without human interference. ETC systems apply vehicle-to-roadside communication technologies to perform an electronic monetary transaction between a vehicle and the toll collection agency.
Benefits of FASTag
1) Cashless payment – FASTag users do not require to carry cash for toll transactions, and do not need to worry about collecting the proper change
2) Faster transit – Auto debit of appropriate amount through the FASTag enables faster transmit through the toll plazas and saves time
3) Online recharge – FASTag can be recharged online through Credit Card / Debit Card / NEFT/ RTGS or Net banking
4) SMS alerts – Instant SMS alerts on a registered mobile number for toll transactions, low balance, etc.
How can I buy FASTag?
1) Online sale of FASTags – FASTag can be purchased online from Issuer Banks websites / NHAI website / IHMCL website and will be forwarded by courier at the doorstep of your house.
2) Mobile app – MyFASTag is a consumer App that can be downloaded for Android mobile. A consumer can purchase or recharge FASTags on this App. MyFASTag App also helps to stay track of transactions and offers for online grievance redressal.
3) You may travel any of the Point of Sale (POS) positions of the certified issuing banks at Toll Plazas or sales offices of Banks to receive your tag account created. FASTag may be purchased from over 28,500 Point-of-Sale locations located by different banks and IHMCL/NHAI, which contains all NH fee plazas, RTOs, Common Service Centers, transport hubs, bank branches, selected petrol pumps, etc. For retail segment (car/jeep/van) FASTag may be purchased online on Amazon and by visiting websites of various member banks like SBI, ICICI Bank, Axis bank, Paytm Payment Banks, HDFC bank, IDFC First bank, etc.. Alternatively, you can visit the Issuing Bank Customer Care numbers to select the closest POS location – You will require to carry original as well as copy of your KYC document s at the POS / Sales office location. You will request to receive your vehicle to the POS / Sale office location to purchase the FASTag. You can also call 1033 NH Helpline number to get out the details.
4) Documents needed for the purchase of FASTag – Since the FAS Tag is connected to an account, KYC documentation would be necessary as per the KYC policy of the Issuer Bank. Except for the KYC documentation, you require to submit a Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle along with the application for FASTag.
5) FASTag has lifetime validity – The same FASTag can be used until the tag is read by the reader and not tampered with. In case, due to wear and tear, the reading quality deteriorates, please visit your Issuing Bank for a new tag.
Charges for FASTag
FASTag is provided by Issuing Banks, and banks can charge a maximum of Rs. 200 for every tag. However, the actual tag issuing charges are proposed by the Issuing Bank and may differ from bank to bank.
Found of FASTag
You can purchase FASTags from branches or online services of banks, including SBI, HDFC, ICICI, Bank of Baroda, Axis, City Union Bank. The FASTag is also being provided at the NHAI’s points of sale at all toll plazas, PayTM, e-commerce websites like Amazon, and Road Transport Authority (RTA) offices.
A ‘My FASTag’ app is also available for customers to purchase the tags online. If customers buy cards online, the bank or wallet will go the ticket to the customer’s address. Documents needed to apply for FASTag: Copy of registration certificate of the vehicle, passport size photographs of the vehicle owner, ID proof, and address proof.